The Truth About Toxic Mold

April 14, 2021 • Mold Removal, Safety Tips

truth about toxic mold fairfield county connecticutConcerned About Toxic Mold In Your Property? 

Many homeowners in Fairfield, Connecticut have expressed concerns about the nefarious “toxic mold.” There are a lot of misconceptions about toxic mold, what it is & what it does. This term can be misleading. It implies that the mold spores themselves are what is toxic. The fact of the matter is that the term “toxic mold” refers to the mycotoxins that are released by mold spores. These mycotoxins have the potential to cause health & safety implications for those experiencing sensitivities or allergies. While any species of mold has the potential to be toxic to those who experience sensitivities, there are a few species of mold that are especially toxic to humans in general. Stachybotrys & Chaetomium are two species of mold that are often referred to as “black mold.” Both “toxic mold” and “black mold” are used as scare tactics, and are widely misunderstood. Black mold simply refers to a form of mold that stems from severe water damage. The truth is, as previously stated, any species of mold has the potential to be toxic. Keep in mind that health risks will vary from person to person, as not everyone shares the same sensitivities. Contamination levels, individual sensitivities and duration of exposure are all factors that need to be considered when determining whether or not specific species of mold are considered toxic. 

Managing Mold Damage In Your Connecticut Home

Mold plays a vital role in our ecosystem. Normal levels of airborne outdoor mold spores are everywhere, and generally completely harmless. These mold spores are constantly drifting in and out of our homes through open doors and windows, and even attached to our clothing, our hair, and our pets. Normal indoor mold spore count directly correlates to levels found outdoors. Your home’s indoor mold spore count should always be equal to or lesser than outdoor levels. Mold becomes an issue when it begins to excessively spread indoors, and indoor mold spore counts exceed outdoor levels. Elevated indoor mold spore count can result in severe structural damage to your property, diminish property value, and potentially create an unsafe living environment. 

Under proper conditions, indoor mold levels can spread excessively in as little as 24 to 48 hours. If your home is providing an environment with the proper amount of moisture & warmth, along with a cellulose-based food source, mold spores can begin to develop on the porous building materials within the structure of your home. Abnormal mold development needs to be addressed promptly in order to avoid severe structural damage. When given the opportunity, mold will continue to thrive, leading to widespread property damage, diminished property value, costly repairs & potential long term health risks. As previously mentioned, it’s important to keep in mind that health effects due to toxic mold exposure will vary per individual. Potential symptoms include, but are not limited to:

  • Wheezing, respiratory inflammation
  • Coughing & throat irritation
  • Itchy eyes, irritated skin & rash 
  • Sneezing, runny or stuffy nose

Signs Of Toxic Mold

It’s important for Connecticut homeowners to be aware of what to look for when dealing with mold in their properties. Mold can present itself in many different forms. There are tons of signs that could indicate a mold problem in your property, so it’s important to know what you are looking for. Signs of a potential toxic mold problem in your home include: 

  • Odor: Mold gives off a distinct musty odor. An unfamiliar odor that may seem out of place in certain areas of your home could be a sign of hidden moisture damage or mold development. 
  • Discoloration & Staining: Severe moisture damage can lead to discoloration, staining & warping of porous building materials. 
  • Visual Spore Clusters: Mold can be seen as a chalky or fuzzy looking substance settled on the surfaces of your home. It comes in many different colors, such as grey, white, black, brown & green. If you notice any suspicious fungal growth on your home’s porous building materials, this is a huge indication of mold growth within the structure. 

Toxic Mold Remediation

The worst thing you can do when you suspect toxic mold growth in your home is to simply ignore it. Mold does not go away on its own, in fact, quite the opposite. The more time mold is given to spread, the worse the damage will become. It’s important that you intervene as early as possible. Contact a local professional mold remediation company in your Fairfield, CT area to assess the damage & create a plan for cleanup. You should never attempt to clean mold on your own, let the professionals help. 

Take the Next Step

Help is a click or call away.

Get Help Now


Before You Call Just Any Mold Removal Company…

Read our “Things to Consider” guide for choosing the right mold removal professional.

Get the Guide